Oral Cancer Screening
Carcinogens in tobacco products, alcohol and certain foods, exposure to the sun, and a family history of cancer have been some key aspects in developing oral cancer. We use Velscope for our oral cancer screening
If you are experiencing the following symptoms:
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the lips, gum, tongue, swelling or thickenings, palate or other areas inside of the mouth.
- Randomly bleeding inside of the mouth.
- Ulcers in the mouth that randomly form that bleed easily and do not heal within 2 weeks.
- A sore feeling in the back of the throat that makes it hard to swallow.
- Hoarseness, voice changes, or sore throat.
- Chewing and swallowing becomes difficult as well as speaking or moving the tongue or jaw.
- Denture that do not feel like they fit together anymore.
- Ear pain.
- Drastic weight loss.
Please contact our office at Mooresville Dentist for an examination. The dentist screens for oral cancer during routine checkups by checking for irregularities in your neck, cheeks, head, and oral cavity. The dentist also checks for ulcers, long-standing lumps, and thoroughly examines the soft tissues to see if there is any discoloration.
At Mooresville Dentist we use a marking and oral identification system known as Velscope.
The VELscope system helps dentist visualize irregularities in the mucosal tissues of your lips, mouth and upper throat. In just two minutes, with no rinses, stains or uncomfortableness, a VELscope examination lets healthcare professionals improve their assessment of your overall oral health.
Make sure that your mouth is as healthy as it can possibly be. The next time you see your dentist or hygienist, ask for a VELscope examination.
How Does the VELscope Work?
The VELscope’s blue light “excites” molecules (called “fluorophores”) deep within the layers of oral mucosal tissues. Subsequently, those fluorophores emit their unique light (fluorescence), in shades of green, yellow and red. The VELscope’s proprietary filter makes fluorescence visualization possible, by blocking reflected blue light, and by enhancing the contrast between normal and abnormal tissue.
To schedule an appointment at our office, call our Mooresville Dentist office at (704) 660-1120